Bread and Butter Pudding with Cherries
Servings: 12 servings
Rich, velvety vanilla pudding pairs perfectly with the nutty flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, and the tartness of dark cherries.Print Recipe
- 8 slices of Aunt Millie's Hearth Fiber for Life Honey & Crunchy Oat Bread
- butter for spreading
- 2 cups cherries stems and pits removed
- Cinnamon to taste
- nutmeg to taste
- 1 quart milk
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- brown sugar to taste
- 1 cup-full cherry juice
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. butter
- Butter slices of bread. Place four slices (or enough to fill) in a single layer in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch pan. Cover with 1 cup cherries. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Repeat for second layer.
- Pour milk in mixing bowl; add eggs and vanilla; sweeten with brown sugar to taste. Pour mixture over contents of pan; soak for two to three hours. Bake in oven for one hour at 325 degrees.
- In saucepan, combine cherry juice, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water and butter. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil. Remove from heat and cool until safe to eat.
- Cut bread pudding into 12 equal slices. Plate each slice and drizzle cherry sauce on top before serving.
Try Bread and Butter Pudding with Cherries recipe for a delicious dessert from Grains Food Foundation by the Indianopolis Star.