Adding conveniently canned pumpkin boosts the fiber and vitamin A and the kids (and adults) won’t even notice. Use your favorite store-bought bread, sliders or bun! They are called “Jacks” because the pumpkin addition is a nod to “Jack ‘o Lanterns!”
- 1 pound ground turkey, beef or ground meat plant alternative
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional – extends the meat and adds another vegetable!)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 8 hamburger buns (or 16 slider buns)
- In a large skillet, cook the meat, onion, green pepper, and garlic powder over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the pumpkin, ketchup, mustard, chili powder and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns and enjoy!
Serving: 1sandwichCalories: 300kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 21gFat: 8gSodium: 810mgFiber: 1gSugar: 15g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!