Yields: 4 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Meat-free Mondays don’t have to mean salad leftovers. Go with a delicious and simple vegetarian pasta. You might just find yourself eating it for the rest of the week.
- 1 box whole wheat penne pasta uncooked, 14.5 oz
- 1 package reduced fat cream cheese 8 oz., 1/3 less fat
- 1 cups ½ to 2marinara sauce
- 1 can seasoned diced tomatoes 28 oz.
- 2 cups low fat Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Try this tasty recipe for Whole Wheat Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce Casserole, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Fold in marinara sauce and canned tomatoes. Pour into a rectangular 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.