Whole Grain Panzanella Bread Salad
Servings: 8 servings
Garden-fresh seasonal produce, savory melted cheese, bright herbs and whole grain goodness join forces to make this salad burst with flavor.Print Recipe
- 4 slices Roman Meal bread
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese shaved or grated
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 cups cucumbers seeded and diced
- 1 cup Chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ½ cup red onion finely sliced
- 1/3 cup Red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat broiler to 400 F. Foil-line one baking sheet.
- Brush bread lightly on both sides with 1 tablespoon olive oil; place on baking sheet. Broil about 2 minutes, turning once, until golden. Watch carefully to avoid burning. Remove from oven. Sprinkle cheese on one side of toasted bread; return to oven for about 20 seconds until cheese is melted and bubbly; cool completely. Cut bread into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, onion, vinegar, basil and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in large serving bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Top with bread pieces just prior to serving.
Send your little ones to school with this nutritious and easy lunch box meal - a Whole Grain Panzanella Bread Salad