Yields: 4 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
A gardener’s mid-season bounty of peppers always has a place in one of our favorite summer meals. Add in fresh zucchini and pasta, and this ratatouille can do no wrong.
- 1 lb. gemelli pasta uncooked, 16 oz.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon teaspoon dried basil or 1fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt free all-purpose seasoning
Try this tasty recipe for Vegetarian Ratatouille, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In one large skillet, heat olive oil and cook onions, garlic, zucchini, and peppers for about 3 to 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add tomato juice and remaining seasonings. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered for about 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Gently fold in prepared pasta.