Yields: 6 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
The flavors of the Mediterranean are always in reach when there are olives on hand. Toss together this light and flavorful combo for a simple and satisfying weeknight dinner.
- 1 pound bowtie spiral or penne pasta, uncooked, 16 oz
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted, sliced
- 2 to 3 oz Roma tomatoes chopped (or 1 14.5can of diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted, chopped (could also use walnuts)
- 8 in to 10 fresh basil leaves cutthin strips
Try this tasty recipe for Tomato & Olive Mediterranean Pasta, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic, olives and toasted pine nuts . Cook gently stirring frequently until garlic is tender and golden brown. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes or until tomatoes are tender but not overcooked.
- Gently incorporate basil and cooked pasta. Toss together and serve immediately.