Yields: 6 sandwiches
Grain Foods Foundation
Finally, it has been done. The textures, flavors and aromas of the Thanksgiving meal, distilled into a single glorious sandwich. Behold, The Pilgrim.
- 12 Slices seven-grain bread
- 24 ounces Leftover turkey from Thanksgiving dinner sliced
- As needed Orange Cranberry Compote recipe follows
- As needed Sage Cream Cheese recipe follows
- 2 ounces butter at room temperature
- Seasoning salt to taste (recipe follows)
- ORANGE CRANBERRY COMPOTE:
- 1/2 pound cranberries
- 1 Orange quartered
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- SAGE CREAM CHEESE:
- 2 cups Cream cheese at room temperature
- 15 leaves Sagepicked finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Seasoning salt
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 3 Juniper berries toasted and ground
- 1 Orange zested
Try this tasty recipe for The Pilgrim, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- GENERAL: Lay out two slices of seven grain bread on a cutting board.
- Spread the Orange Cranberry Compote evenly across one slice of bread. Set aside.
- Spread the Sage Cream Cheese evenly across the second slice of bread, then top with about four ounces of sliced, leftover turkey.
- Place the slice of bread with the Orange Cranberry Compote on top of the turkey.
- Brush the top and bottom of the sandwich with room temperature butter.
- If you own an electric sandwich maker or Panini press, place the sandwich inside for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 minutes. If you do not have a sandwich press, simply place the sandwich in a sauté pan on top of your stove, set at medium heat, and cook the sandwich for 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the sandwich and while still hot, season liberally with turkey seasoning salt.
- Cut in half and serve while hot.
- ORANGE CRANBERRY COMPOTE: In a medium sauce pot, cook the cranberries, quartered orange, and sugar for approximately 20 minutes at a low simmer, then stir in a pinch of salt. Remove the pieces of orange and pour into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth, then lightly season with pepper.
- SAGE CREAM CHEESE: In a bowl, combine the cream cheese and sage using a rubber spatula, mixing well. Grate (or very finely chop) the garlic, adding to the bowl. Season to taste with salt and reserve for use.
- SEASONING SALT: Lightly toast the juniper berries in a pan, then place in a spice grinder and blend. Combine the juniper, salt and orange zest in a mortar pestle and combine all evenly. "