Yields: 4 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Nestled inside a layer of flaky pastry you’ll find a heart-healthy salmon fillet seasoned with the brightness of fresh herbs. The best part? It only looks complicated.
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts or 1 package frozen empanada disks thawed if frozen, thawed
- 4 salmon filets 8 oz.
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup egg lightly beaten or ¼egg substitute
Try this tasty recipe for Salmon Empanadas, which are not only packed with grains but are also under 500 calories.
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2. Roll each crust unto a flat surface. Transfer all four salmon fillets into a large baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine butter, parsley and basil and mix thoroughly.
- 4. Place each fillet on top of each crust piece and spread butter mixture evenly on top of all four salmon fillets.
- 5. Fold crust to form a triangle and pinch crust together firmly to seal, then lightly press edges with a dinner fork for a decorative effect, if desired.
- 6. Dip a pastry brush into beaten egg and brush tops of each crust with beaten egg.
- 7. Bake for about 25 to 28 minutes or until crisp golden brown. May cover lightly with foil paper to avoid over browning.