Yields: 8 scones
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
The crumbly texture of a proper scone is absolutely addictive. If you’re not familiar with the feeling, our version with raisins and cinnamon sugar will convince you.
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- cup ½ butter cut into small pieces, 1 stick
- 1/3 cup fat free milk
- 1 cup egg lightly beaten or ¼egg substitute
- 1/2 cup raisins or any small dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
Try this tasty recipe for Raisin Scones, which are not only packed with grains but are also under 500 calories.
- 1. Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Add butter and mix until the dough is crumbly.
- 3. Stir in milk, egg and raisins. Knead for a few minutes until all ingredients are moistened.
- 4. Turn dough unto cookie sheet and spread to form an 8 to10-inch circle. With a butter knife, cut circle into 8 triangles. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- 5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.