Yields: 6 servngs
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Nothing starts a meal like a creative salad. Our panzanella bagel salad is simply a favorite, featuring crunchy bagel chips, plenty of fresh veggies and a tangy homemade vinaigrette.
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 1/4 cups canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup Cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 bagels cut into 2-inch pieces, toasted, 4 oz.
- Additional Parmesan cheese and assorted greens optional
Try this tasty recipe for Panzanella Bagel Salad, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- In a medium bowl, mix, tomatoes, canned tomatoes with juice, green pepper, cucumber, onion, cheese, vinegar and basil.
- Add toasted bagel pieces; toss gently. Marinate, covered, in refrigerator for 1 hour. Serve within 1 hour after marinating. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese and serve on a bed of assorted greens, if desired.