Yields: 4 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Beans are an oft-overlooked sandwich topping that pairs perfectly with cheese, salsa and other sandwich standbys. See for yourself with this quick and easy recipe.
- 6 in bolillos or large Kaiser rolls slicedhalf, lengthwise
- 1 can seasoned low fat refried black beans 16 oz
- 2 cups shredded Chihuahua cheese or Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 tomatoes preferably Roma (or 3 large tomatoes), diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 2 serrano or jalapeño peppers finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano finely crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt optional
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 Hass avocado diced
Try this tasty recipe for Cheesy Black Bean Toast with Pico de Gallo, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the salsa ingredients; set aside.
- On a medium platter, split the rolls. With a medium spatula, spread refried beans onto each half bread; sprinkle cheese among all the breads.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and hot.