Yields: 4 tacos
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Mix up your fresh fish routine with our simple and delicious fish tacos. You’ll love the spicy ancho pepper with lime juice and the refreshing change of pace.
- 2 tilapia fillets 8 oz, about 1 pound
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- teaspoon ¼ground ancho chile
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice divided
- 1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro divided
- 3 cups shredded lettuce or coleslaw
- 4 corn tortillas warmed
- 1/2 cup Mexican style cheese finely shredded
- 1 avocado sliced
Try this tasty recipe for Grilled Fish Tacos, which are not only packed with grains but are also under 500 calories.
- Sprinkle tilapia fillets with 1tablespoon lime juice; rub with garlic powder and chile seasoning.
- In a medium skillet, spray with non-stick cooking spray and cook seasoned filets over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with fork, drizzling fish with 1 tablespoon of the remaining lime juice for the last minute. Flake with fork into bite-size pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, remaining lime juice and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Add to lettuce; gently fold all the ingredients.
- To serve, build tortillas with lettuce mix, prepared fish, cheese and remaining cilantro. Top with a couple avocado slices.