Turkey Burger with Mozzarella and Roasted Red Peppers
Mozzarella cheese and freshly roasted red peppers help this turkey burger recipe stand out in lunchboxes and backyard barbecues alike.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 whole roasted red peppers
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese in 4 slices
- 1 avocado sliced
- 4 100% Whole Wheat Buns
- Nonstick cooking spray
- To roast the peppers:
- Start by preheating your oven to 450F, then washing the peppers and removing the stickers.
- Arrange the peppers on a foil-covered cookie sheet and roast in the oven, turning every 15 minutes until blackened on all sides (about 30 minutes).
- Remove peppers from the oven and place in a covered bowl. As the steam from the peppers condenses, the skin becomes easier to peel off. Once the peppers have cooled, carefully peel off the blackened skin and discard. You can do this with your fingers or a sharp paring knife. Pull or cut off the top of the pepper and squeeze gently to remove the seeds.
- To make the burger:
- Mix the turkey, onion, vinegar, oregano, salt and black pepper in a bowl until combined.
- Try not to overwork the turkey, since too much handling will make it tough. Form mixture into four patties.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat on medium high.
- Sear patties one minute per side and then turn down heat to medium.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until center isn’t pink anymore.
- Top with cheese and roasted red peppers and keep on heat until cheese melts.
- Place on top of the bottom bun.
- Add sliced avocado and cover with bun top. Enjoy!
Send your little ones to school with this nutritious and easy lunch box meal – a turkey burger.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!