Nearly half of all adults in the US consume one or more sandwiches on any given day, with the most common types of sandwiches being burgers, deli meat sandwiches, poultry, and hot dog/sausage sandwiches.
Did you know that what you put in your sandwich is just as important as the bread used in determining the overall nutrition?
- All breads, both whole and enriched, offer important nutrients and provide the foundation for a delicious and nutritious sandwich!
- Round out your sandwich to include something from each of the food groups: grains, protein, vegetables, fruits, and dairy!
- Save calories, saturated fat, and sodium by swapping out some of the meat and cheese on your sandwich and adding more veggies! Add sliced fruit to a smear of your favorite nut butters!
- Look for lower sodium and low-fat options of your favorite standard sandwich fillings and then “spice” it up with adding flavorful herbs and spices.
- Try more nutrient dense condiments like flavored mashed avocado or Greek yogurt. Stir in some lemon juice, garlic and herbs for a tasty (and lower sodium) zest!
- Every culture has it own handheld “sandwiches;” explore new flavors and expand your tastebuds.