The Ultimate Fall Wheatberry Salad
Grains are the perfect complement to your favorite seasonal flavors. We love this hearty wheatberry salad, which pairs spicy arugula with sweet pomegranate seeds.
- 2 cups dried wheatberries known as hard red winter wheat
- 1 large butternut squash about 2 1/2 pounds, peeled, deseeded and diced into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 3 cups arugula or baby spinach
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or fresh if you have it!
- Fill a large pot with water and 1 tsp. kosher salt and wheatberries. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a low simmer for 1 hour, until wheatberries are tender enough to chew. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss cubed squash with 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
- Line a pan with foil and fill with squash. Cover with more foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove squash, uncover and add 2 cups cranberries. Bake for another 15 minutes, until squash is fork-tenderand berries have softened.
- Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a jar and shaking well.
- Coat wheatberries with dressing. Toss to combine.
- Add squash and cranberries, pomegranate arils and arugula, and toss everything well.
- Serve slightly warm, room temperature or chilled.
Try this tasty holiday recipe for the Ultimate Fall Wheatberry Salad.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!