Spiced Rice Pilaf
This is not your mother's rice pilaf. Rich flavors of saffron and cardamom transport you to an exotic place.
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 4 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- pinch of saffron
- 2 tsp cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- TO GARNISH - red pepper peas and toasted black sesame seeds
- Heat up the cup of water and drop the saffron into it
- Add the olive oil to a pan and saute the onion and garlic till onion is translucent
- Add the rice and chicken stock and saffron steeped water and bring to a boil
- Add the cardamom, cloves, curry leaves, cumin and lower heat and simmer covered for 15-18 minutes till rice is done and stock has been absorbed
- Garnish with black sesame seeds, cooked peas and red pepper
A whole grain recipe with rice, onions, garlic and spices, Spiced Rice Pilaf recipe is featured on Grains Food Foundation website and created by blogger Runnin Srilankan. A thirty something mom to one homosapien and two canines, Shashi stumbled into the blogshere hoping to keep track of recipes, post workouts and all things that inspire her, and document some DIY projects.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!