Servings: 7 servings
Why should this restaurant favorite be out of reach when you’re dining at home? You can throw together a satisfying tortilla soup with pantry staples you have on hand.Print Recipe
- 10 tortillas may use 6” corn tortilla or 8” wheat tortilla
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 large tomatoes boiled, peeled and cored (or one 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained)
- 1 Serrano chile steamed, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Avocado chunks and queso fresco optional
- Preheat oven at 350° F.
- Cut tortillas into long, thin strips and bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Transfer mixture to a blender along with tomato and chile; blend for 1 minute or until smooth.In a medium saucepan, pour in broth, lime juice and vegetable/tomato mixture. Partially cover and simmer for about 1/2 hour over medium heat. Salt to taste, if desired.
- Divide tortilla strips among bowls and pour soup over tortilla strips. Garnish with extra tortilla strips, avocado chunks and crumbled queso fresco (fresh white cheese), if desired.
Try this tasty recipe for Tortilla Soup, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories