Yields: 6 sandwiches
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Few things bring a sandwich to greatness quicker than adding a slice of avocado. We love it in this combination with whole wheat bread and fresh, crisp veggies.
- 12 Slices whole wheat bread toasted
- 3 avocados peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 3 European cucumbers peeled and sliced thin
- 1 Romaine heart finely chopped
- 2 Heirloom tomato sliced
- 1/2 cup Green Goddess Spread recipe below
- 1/2 cup Goat Cheese Mousse recipe below
- 1 teaspoon Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Green Goddess Spread
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 quart Mixed green herbs (equal parts parsley tarragon and chive)
- Goat Cheese Mousse
- 1 quart Goat cheese at room temperature
- 4 ounces Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Your favorite fresh seasonal herbs finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Try this tasty recipe for The Avocado CLT, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- GENERAL: Lay out two slices of whole wheat toast on a cutting board.
- Coat the first slice of bread evenly with the Green Goddess Spread. Set aside.
- Spread the second slice of bread evenly with the Goat Cheese Mousse, then layer with cucumber slices. Season lightly with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Next, add the romaine and tomato on top of the cucumber. Again, season lightly with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Then, add slices of avocado and top with the slice of toast with the Green Goddess Spread.
- Stabilize with two wooden skewers and cut in half to serve.
- GOAT CHEESE MOUSSE: In a blender or food processor, add the goat cheese and buttermilk. Puree until smooth, the mixture should be thick. If a blender or food processor is not available, mix together in a large bowl using a rubber spatula. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the fines herbs. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as necessary
- GREEN GODDESS SPREAD: Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and uniformly green in color. If a blender is not available, finely chop the garlic and herbs and then whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl.