Yields: 8 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Looking for a new go-to pasta dish? Look no further. This one-pot wonder features mushrooms, leeks and a generous helping of chicken sausage in every bite.
- 1 box whole grain rotini uncooked, 13.25 oz
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup leeks thinly sliced
- 1 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 lb. chicken sausage sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- teaspoon Leaves from 6 large tarragon sprigs chopped or 1/8 to ½of dried tarragon
- 1 cup Romano cheese grated
Try this tasty recipe for Rotini with Sausage and Mushrooms, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Prepare rotini according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat oil at medium heat. Cook sausage for 2 to 3 minutes or until well browned. Add leeks, onions, mushrooms and cook until tender; add chicken stock and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until hot. Fold in vegetable/sausage mixture into warm pasta. Add parsley, tarragon and Romano cheese; toss again. Top with Parmesan Romano cheese, if desired.