Yields: 6 sandwiches
Grain Foods Foundation
You owe it to yourself to make fresh pastrami. And you’ve got the skills to make it happen. Trust us: this will be the single most satisfying sandwich you've ever made.
- 12 slices Rye bread
- 24 ounces Sliced beef pastrami store bought or see recipe
- 12 slices Muenster cheese thin
- 12 ounces Sauerkraut prepared and drained
- 4 ounces Thousand Island dressing store bought or see recipe
- 2 ounces butter at room temperature
- PASTRAMI SPICE
- 1/4 cup Paprika 1 tablespoon Coriander
- 1 tablespoon Fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon White pepper
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Clove
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/4 cup garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Yellow mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon Celery seed
- 1 tablespoon Ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon Chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Thyme dried
- PASTRAMI BRINE
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon Pink Salt
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Pickling Spice
- 8 Bay Leaves
- Thousand Island dressing
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Shallot minced
- 1/2 cup Caper minced
- 1/2 cup Pickle minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chives minced
- 1 teaspoon Tarragon minced
- 1 teaspoon Yellow celery heart leaves minced
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Try this tasty recipe for Pastrami Reuben, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- GENERAL: Lay out two slices of rye bread on a cutting board.
- Top the first piece of bread with one slice of Muenster cheese, then about 2 ounces of sauerkraut, 4 ounces (or roughly three – four thin slices) of pastrami, and a second slice of Muenster cheese. Set aside.
- Spread the second piece of bread with Thousand Island dressing, then place on top of the other half of the sandwich.
- Brush the top and bottom of the sandwich with butter.
- If you own an electric sandwich maker or Panini press, place the sandwich inside for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 minutes. If you don’t have a sandwich press, simply place the sandwich in a sauté pan on top of your stove, set at medium heat. Cook the sandwich for 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the sandwich and while still hot, cut in half and serve.
- PASTRAMI SPICE: Combine all ingredients in a food processor with the blade attachment. Pulse the ingredients about 8 times, or until it looks completely combined without over processing or turning into powder. (This should take less than one minute.) Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- PASTRAMI BRINE: Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cool over an ice bath consisting of 50% ice and 50% water in a vessel large enough to submerge the large pot.
- When the brine is cold (40℉), inject the brisket with a brine needle in several places, then cover with the remaining brine in an airtight container and refrigerate for 7 days.
- Once 7 days has passed, start the smoker and maintain the temperature at 225 – 250℉.
- Remove the brisket from the brine and rinse under running water. Pat dry with a clean town and cover with the prepared Pastrami Spice mix.
- Smoke the pastrami for 12 – 14 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 180℉.
- Remove from the smoker and cool in a refrigerator for at least 8-12 hours.
- Once cold, slice to desired thickness.
- THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING: Bring all ingredients together in a bowl and combine with a whisk.