Butternut Squash Wild Rice
Servings: 6 servings
Nutty wild rice, sweet butternut squash and tart cranberries combine to make a flavorful side dish or entrée.Print Recipe
- 2 cups butternut squash (peeled, diced into bite size pieces)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1 handful spinach
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add butternut squash to a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add to prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flip half way through and cook until fork tender.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add rice and bring to second boil. Cover rice, and simmer on low for 40 minutes until broth is evaporated. Fluff with fork.
- Meanwhile in a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add the onion, cook for about 5 minutes until tender. Add a handful of spinach and cook until wilted. Add the cooked butternut squash, rice and cranberries; mix until combined.
Try the sweet and savory Butternut Squash Rice recipe featured on Grains Food Foundation, by Jennifer Drummond. Perfect for your Thanksgiving and holiday meals.
A 30 something girl who works full-time in a medical device office and spends her reamining time cooking, exercising and with her family, Jennifer LOVES peanut butter and peppers on everything.