Yields: 6 sandwiches
Grain Foods Foundation
Try this gourmet take on a lunchbox favorite. Featuring homemade peanut butter alongside ripe bananas, you’ll wonder how you’ve missed out on this combo for so long.
- 12 Slices white bread
- 6 Bananas sliced
- 8 ounces peanut butter use your favorite or see recipe below
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 ounces butter at room temperature
- 1 pound shelled and skinned roasted peanuts recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Honey
- 1/8 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 pounds in-shell raw Spanish peanuts, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
Try this tasty recipe for Banana, PB & Honey, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Lay out two slices of white bread on a cutting board.
- Spread both slices of bread with peanut butter. Set one aside.
- Take one slice and top with sliced bananas, then drizzle with honey. Place the reserved slice of bread on top.
- Brush the top and bottom of the sandwich with room temperature butter.
- If you own an electric sandwich maker or Panini press, place the sandwich inside for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 minutes. If you do not have a sandwich press, simply place the sandwich in a sauté pan on top of your stove, set at medium heat, and cook the sandwich for 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 minutes on each side.
- While cooking, combine the cinnamon and the sugar in a small bowl.
- Remove the sandwich and while still hot, season liberally with cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut in half and serve while hot.
- Preheat the oven to 325℉.
- Scrub the peanuts under running water to remove excess dirt.
- Towel dry and place in a bowl, toss with the peanut oil and salt until well coated.
- Place on 2 half-sheet pans, making sure to spread them out into a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through cooking. Once you remove the peanuts from the oven, let them cool slightly before eating. They will continue to carry-over ""cook"" and become crunchier as they cool.
- To clean the peanuts to make peanut butter, remove shells and discard. Remove the skin by rubbing the peanuts together in your hands held over a salad spinner, allowing the peanuts and skins to crack and fall into the bowl. After that step the skin has been loosened from the peanuts. Next, close the salad spinner and process until the skin has been separated from the peanuts.
- Place the peanuts, salt and honey into a food processor.
- Process for 1-2 minutes, until finely ground. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Place the lid back on and continue to process while slowly drizzling in the peanut oil, until the mixture is smooth.
- Next, add the salt, ginger and cinnamon and process for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Place the peanut butter in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks.