Yields: 7 pancakes
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
This is one super pancake. Featuring warm autumn flavors and a heartiness that keeps you full til lunch, you’ll love the cinnamon, allspice and reduced sugar.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- cup ½whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ cup applesauce
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup egg substitute
Try this tasty recipe for Whole Wheat Apple Spiced Pancakes, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (first 7 ingredients) in a large mixing bowl.
- 2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined.
- 3. Spray griddle or skillet with non-stick cooking spray. With ½ cup ladle or measuring cup, scoop pancake batter onto greased griddle or skillet. Flip when bubbles appear. Cook until golden brown.
- 4. Serve with ½ cup fresh fruit like strawberries or kiwi.