Yields: 6 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
On busy nights stuffed with sports, lessons and meetings, you can always rely on your slow cooker to make it through. Next time, come home to our savory day-long chili.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 in can chili beanssauce undrained, 15 oz.
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce optional
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Try this tasty recipe for Slow Cooked Favorite Chili, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories
- In a large skillet, heat oil and cook onions with ground turkey over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until brown. Drain. Add remaining ingredients, except rice.
- Transfer to medium size slow cooker (6-quart). Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or high setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Stir in rice. Cover and cook on high setting for an additional 20 minutes or until rice is hot.