Yields: 8 slices
There’s a special place for apple pie in the heart and history of the USA. That’s why we always hold a spot on the table for our spicy take on the American classic
- 2 cups Eagle Mills® All-Purpose Unbleached Flour with Ultragrain®
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup cold Fleischmann’s® Original Margarine-stick
- 5 tablespoons to 6cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups peeled sliced cooking apples such as Braeburn or Granny Smith (about 5)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Eagle Mills® All-Purpose Unbleached Flour with Ultragrain®
- 1 tablespoon coarse granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
Try this tasty recipe for Braeburn Apple Pie with Cinnamon-Infused Crust, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Prepare pastry: Combine 2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening and Fleischmann’s with pastry blender or 2 knives until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until flour is moistened and pastry almost clings to side of bowl (add 1 to 2 teaspoons more water, if necessary). Gather pastry into a ball.
- Divide dough in half and shape each into a round flat disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Flatten 1 disc of dough gently using your hands on lightly floured surface. Roll dough from center into circle 12 inches in diameter. Transfer dough to a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch dough. Spoon filling into pastry. Trim pastry even with rim of pie plate.
- Roll remaining disc of dough into circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place pie crust over filling; trim 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust; press edges together to seal. Flute edge. Brush top crust with water and sprinkle with sugar. Cut 5 or 6 slits in top crust in spoke pattern to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge with foil during last 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 8 slices. Filling combine 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl. Add apples and lemon juice; toss lightly.