Yields: 4 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Earthy cumin makes this side dish a dinner party favorite alongside Mexican-inspired entrees. Try topping leftovers with chili or our chipotle meatballs.
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 1 can fat free chicken broth 14 ½ oz.
- 1 teaspoon dried ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chili seasonings undrained, 14 ½ oz.
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut into chunks
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained, 8 3/4 oz.
Try this tasty recipe for South of the Border Rice, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Prepare rice according to package directions, using chicken broth instead of water and add cumin.
- Once water is almost absorbed, gently fold in remaining ingredients. Continue to cook until water is completely absorbed. Cover and remove from heat. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.