In this stunning (and super simple) appetizer, cranberries get the stage they deserve, complemented by tangy goat cheese and crusty whole-grain bread.
- 1 small loaf of artisan whole grain bread sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- 10 oz. goat cheese preferably at room temperature (Brie, ricotta, or cream cheese would be fine substitutes)
- Cranberry orange sauce:
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bag fresh cranberries 12-ounce
- Zest of 1 orange divided, orange part only
- Toast the bread: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle the slices with salt. Toast the bread in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway, until the slices are lightly golden on both sides. Set the pan aside to cool.
- Make the cranberry sauce: Rinse the cranberries and toss any squishy ones. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water, honey, cinnamon, cloves and allspice to a gentle boil. Add the cranberries and cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes or until the cranberries have popped and the sauce is starting to look, well, saucy. Remove from heat and stir in about two-thirds of the orange zest.
- Assemble the crostini: Top each slice of toast with a generous spread of cheese, then cranberry sauce and a light sprinkle of orange zest. Serve.
Try this tasty holiday recipe for Cranberry Crostini.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!