Yields: 4 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Everyone should have a great casserole recipe on stand-by for busy evenings. This is our pick for a one-dish wonder with plenty of bright vegetable flavors and colors.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup egg substitute equivalent of 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt or 2 teaspoons of your favorite salt free seasonings
- 1 cup of any combination of the following topping ingredients: green onions green bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes or nopales.
- 1 cup Mexican style cheese shredded
Try this tasty recipe for Vegetable Tortilla Casserole, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- 1. Preheat oven at 350º F.
- 2. Cut each tortilla into 4 triangles.
- 3. Arrange in a single layer on a 9x12 baking sheet pan and bake at 350° F for 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp.
- 4. Transfer crispy tortillas to an 8 x 8 glass baking dish, add eggs, seasonings and combined topping ingredients. Mix well and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until eggs are firm. Serve with salsa, fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired.