Yields: 4 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
The flavors of summertime come to life in this simple crowd-pleaser. Pick a spot in the sun and enjoy the crunch of tortillas and the sweet spiciness of fresh salsa.
- 3 medium plum tomatoes chopped
- cup ¼cilantro chopped
- cup ¼red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 12 corn tortilla tostadas hard tortilla shells
- 1 cups ½fresh black beans or 1 can black beans drained and rinsed, 15 oz.
- 1 cups ½queso fresco or goat cheese crumbled
- 6 leaves iceberg or Romaineof lettuce shredded
Try this tasty recipe for Summer Crispy Tostada, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, cilantro, onion, lime juice and hot sauce. Set aside.
- To assemble, place each tostada on a plate. Distribute the beans, cheese, lettuce and salsa evenly over the tortillas.