Yields: 8 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Never underestimate the power of simplicity. These delicious canapés marry creamy mozzarella, sweet tomatoes and piquant balsamic for an unbeatable snack or lunch.
- 8 plum tomatoes sliced thick
- 12 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1-1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ to 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium loaf Italian bread
Try this tasty recipe for Plum Tomato and Mozzarella Caprese Toast, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Assemble as follow: Place 2 tomato slices and 1 to 2 mozzarella cheese slices over lightly toasted Italian bread.
- Sprinkle with basil and drizzle balsamic vinegar.