Yields: 8 servings
Sylvia Melendez-Klinger, MS, RD
Grain Foods Foundation
Olé! We’re spicing up spaghetti and meatballs with a Mexican flair. Plenty of chipotle pepper keeps things interesting, while a bed of rice offers a balance to the dish.
- 3 large tomatoes, boiled or roasted and peeled or 1 can (14. 5 oz.) tomatoes
- 1 small white onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- .25 cup green hot sauce
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
- ½ cups chipotle pepper sauce
- ½ cups green onions, sliced
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs (soaked in ¼ cup milk)
- 2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute
- ½ cup cilantro
Try this tasty recipe for Chipotle Meatballs in Spicy Sauce with Rice, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- In a blender, place tomatoes, white onion, garlic and green hot sauce; blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour tomato mixture and broth into large sauce pan and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, in a large bowl, mix ground beef, chipotle sauce, green onions, bread crumbs, eggs and cilantro.
- Shape about 2 to 3 tablespoons of beef mixture into a ball. Drop formed meatballs into simmering sauce, cover, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over hot rice.