Yields: 8 pieces
Flaky crust is the star in this rustic fruit tart. Naturally sweet apples dotted with ruby-red cranberries complete this unique dessert that satisfies any sweet tooth.
- 1 3/4 cups Eagle Mills® All-Purpose Unbleached Flour with Ultragrain® or Eagle Mills® Ultragrain® White Whole Wheat Flour divided
- 7 tablespoons granulated sugar divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 11/2 pounds Jonagold Braeburn or Gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cold Fleischmann’s® Original Margarine-stick
- Reddi-wip® Original Whipped Light Cream
Try this tasty recipe for Apple-Cranberry Crostata, which is not only packed with grains but is also under 500 calories.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, 3 tablespoons of the sugar and salt in medium bowl. Blend in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until pebble-size crumbs form. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon ice water at a time over flour mixture and mix with a fork until moist and crumbly. Press mixture into a 5-inch disc on sheet of plastic wrap; cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Stir together apples, cranberries and orange peel in large bowl while dough is chilling; set aside. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour, the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in another medium bowl. Cut in Fleischmann’s with pastry blender until crumbly; set aside.
- Place 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap on a damp surface. Place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Top with 2 additional overlapping sheets of plastic wrap. Roll covered dough into 12-inch circle with a rolling pin. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be removed easily.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap from dough. Place dough, wrap side up, on parchment paper; remove remaining plastic wrap. Spread apple mixture on crust in even layer, leaving 1 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over apples. Turn up edge of dough, overlapping and pressing together in ""pleats"" about 12 times, to fit over apples.
- Bake 30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and apples are tender. Let crostata stand 5 minutes before transferring on parchment paper to wire rack to cool. Cut into 8 slices; serve warm with Reddi-wip. Note: Orange zest is the finely grated orange part of the rind. Do not grate into the white part as it is very bitter. A plane grater works well for this task.